Wash Day and Hair Musings

Get ready for a long one... This is actually Saturday's wash day   (June edit, sometime in May actually!!!) as I'm busy with my dis...

Get ready for a long one... This is actually Saturday's wash day  (June edit, sometime in May actually!!!) as I'm busy with my dissertation and blogging has taken a backseat.

I did a between washes co-wash with Tresemmé Thermal Recovery Intense Repair and Rehydration Treatment Masque (all these products have such long names...), which has a bunch of amino acids and proteins in it to strengthen hair. They're mostly out of the first 5-6 ingredients golden spot but after washing with this exclusively, my hair feels a little... tough maybe? Not in a bad way, but certainly not in the very very silky way that exclusively moisturising conditioners make my hair feel.

For that reason, I consider it an adequate protein conditioner and I would not use it every week as a deep conditioner (I mostly use it on my roots). I do love love this conditioner because it comes in an enormous (compared to other off-the-shelf products) 500ml tub and is quite cheap at around £5. A little goes a long way too with this stuff so I see it lasting for a long time, just like my favourite Tresemmé Keratin Smooth Masque has.

Yesterday, I noticed a fair few split ends in a section of hair I examined. I was going to search and destroy but I've actually elected to leave them be. Search and destroy is difficult on my hair as it's not that long and so it's not actually worthwhile at this stage. I trimmed my ends a month ago and that will have to do until I relax and trim again (June edit, gave myself a little trim no big).

Oh yes! I've decided to go for another 19 week stretch, despite saying that I wouldn't go longer than 16 again. Well it's been 12.5 weeks and I'm nowhere near ready to relax. I'd like to make it to the end of June (nearly 20 weeks) as that syncs up nicely with a length check on a hair forum (LHCF) challenge I'm on. I am ready for that hat-like new growth!

Anyway, enough chat. What did I do this wash day?

Pictures from a previous post but most products the same)
[1] Detangled very very thoroughly with copious amounts of my oil mix and a wide-toothed comb and lightly spritzed with Boots Coconut and Almond Leave-in Conditioner to give a steam effect. Left in for around 2.5 hours. Worked really well and my hair felt a lot softer than it usually does without the moisture!
[2] Mixed together Naked Honey & Mallow Hydrating Shampoo (sulphate-free), the tiny remainders I had of Lee Stafford Argan Oil Nourishing Conditioner and John Frieda Frizz Ease Miraculous Recovery Intensive Masque and a shot of Keratin Smooth to make a co-cleanser. I will not be repurchasing the John Frieda Masque as it only lasts for around 2-3 washes! 150ml is just not enough for a deep conditioner that costs £6...
[3] Flipped my hair over and braided over my forehead to reduce tangling while rinsing out the oil with warm water and working in the co-cleanser. Finally, something that works to reduce tangling! And very fuss-free.
[4] Rinsed with warm water, squeezed out excess water in hair and deep conditioned with Herbal Essences Bee Strong Strengthening Intensive Mask and my oil mix over the top. New product alert! The smell is a little strong, but I have good feelings about this deep conditioner.
[5] Rinsed with cold water, then 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar to 1 mug of cool water. Tshirt dried for 45 minutes after squeezing out excess water.
[6] Applied 2chic Avocado and Olive Oil leave-in conditioner, my oil mix and Darcy's Botanicals Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Creme, using the L.O.C method. Now that I want to move on to my new Creme, the old one simply won't run out! I use it very sparingly nowadays, compared to my moisturise/seal days.
[7] Left to airdry.

The 2chic is... so so so good but I know for a fact that I won't be rebuying and I'll make the Boots leave-in work. £8.99 for 118ml vs. £1.50 for 150ml... no competition, you know? Maybe I'll use the 2chic only on wash days and the Boots for my L step (June edit, this is indeed what I do and it works fabulously). The 2chic has some amazing detangling power, so I'd be sad to give it up completely (although my wallet wouldn't!). By the way, my hair felt incredible this week. Like, beyond soft and moisturised.

Additionally, my hair extensions are on their way (June edit, hurrah!) so I'm going to leave you now with this bloated post!

How was your latest wash day?
Lam

You Might Also Like

0 comments